Map of UK and USA, Budhanilkantha School, STOL Air fields
Objective: To find out the relation of Nepal with UK and USA and their assistance to Nepal.
Relationship with UK (United Kingdom):
United Kingdom consists four different islands – England, Scotland, Wales and 6 Counties in Northern Ireland. The famous cities in UK are Liverpool, Manchester, London, Glasgow, Edinburg, Bristol etc.
There has been a very good relationship between Nepal and UK since Jung Bahadur visited UK and Nepalese troops fought in the World Wars on behalf of Britain. The diplomatic relation between Nepal and UK was established in 1934 A.D. Since then, UK has been helping Nepal in many ways:
- Assistance in the road construction like Butwal-Narayanghat part of Mahendra Highway, Madan Bhandari Highway (Dharan to Dhankuta) etc.
- UK assisted Nepal to establish Budhanilkantha school, Gandaki Boarding School and Drug Research Center in Kathmandu.
- UK has helped Nepal to extend radio service throughout the country.
- It has allowed Nepalese students to get higher education in in different universities in UK.
- Library of British Council in Kathmandu has been contributing to uplift education standard.
- UK has also been giving aid for other development fields as and when required.
Relationship with United States of America:
United States of America has 50 states. The major cities of USA are New York, Los Angelos. Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit and Washington D.C. It has about 99% literate people. it is one of the richest and most prosperous countries in the world.
The diplomatic relationship between Nepal and USA was established in 1947 A.D. The USA happily accepted ‘Zone of Peace’ proposal of Nepal. Many students from Nepal have been studying and many citizens of Nepal are working in USA. The USA has become the dreamland for many Nepalese so, they are wanting to go to USA. It has also adopted the policy of attracting the skilled human power through Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery. Many Nepalese have gone to USA through this process. The USA has been helping Nepal in many ways:
- USA has helped Nepal to establish agriculture research center, provide improved varieties of seeds and fertilizers.
- It has been providing food and clothing during natural disasters like flood, landslides and famine.
- It has helped in improving transportation system of Nepal by constructing Dhangadhi-Dadeldhura Highway, Hetauda-Bharatpur Roads, Raxaul to Bhainse Road and STOL Airfields.
- The USA has assisted in Janak Education Material Center and Maleria Eradication Organization.
- It has helped in education sector like designing syllabus, training teachers and development of text books.
- It has opened vocational schools and colleges at Bhaktapur, Kirtipur, Pokhara, Palpa and Biratnagar.
- It has helped to Nepal Industrial development Corporation (NIDC) and established Hetauda and Balaju Industrial Estates.
- The USA has also contributed to forest research, tree plantation, irrigation, drinking water and urbanization in Nepal.